Newspaper Archive of
Cape Gazette
Lewes, Delaware
Jim's Towing Service
July 25, 2006     Cape Gazette
PAGE 12     (12 of 48 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 12     (12 of 48 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
July 25, 2006
 

Newspaper Archive of Cape Gazette produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2019. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




12 - CAPE GAZETTE - Tuesday, July 25 - Thursday, July 27, 2006 Rachel Swick photo Stickels honored, CIB receives grant The Center for the Inland Bays presented long-time County Administrator Bob Stickels with a Friends of the Bays plaque during the Tuesday, July 18, meeting of the Sussex County Council in Georgetown. One of the projects backed by Stickels, who also serves on the CIB's board, is the shellfish gardening program. The program enables citizens to help grow oysters off their docks in baskets( which are later placed on the CIB's quarter-acre reef at the James Farm in Ocean View. Stickels presented the CIB with a grant during the meeting to help con- tinue this program. Shown are (l-r) E.J. Chalabala, wildlife manager for the CIB; Stickels; and Rick Eakle, president of the CIB board. OWNING A R [? The reality is, fully operational equestrian farms in Delaware's beach region is a scarce & vanishing breed. In fact, the only available farm of its kind is located 3-minutes from downtown Historic Milton Hidden from view from the road for added priv.acy, this one- property consists of 11 sub-dividable a 2,700 sq. ft. 6-year young, stunning, one-level home (w/an additional 2,000 sq. ft. unfinished on the 2nd floor), 2,000 sq. ft. 8;stall horse barn, 900 sq. ft. hay barn, 900 sq. ft. workshop, One acre fenced Paddock, (2) Two acre fenced Pastures, Fenced Riding Ring, plus an additional Two acre future Pasture or Home site, Riding Trails, Vinyard, Fenced wild flower garden, Potting Shed, Approx. 3 1/2 Acres of woodlands. LIVE THE DREAM 16922 Gravel Hill Road Exclusively Offered by: Skip Faust REALTY For a virtual tour please visit: www.skipfaust.com For a live tour please direct all inquiries to Skip. Faust (302) 745-9000 cell Applications for funding to combat phragmies due The deadline for landowners to apply for cost share funds to combat the pest plant phragmites and improve wildlife habitat in private wet- lands is fast approaching. The Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control (DNREC), in partnership with U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Natural Resoiarces Conservation Service (NRCS), is accepting applications now through Friday, July 28. The phragmites reed is both fast growing and extremely hardy. It has taken over large areas of Delaware wetlands by displacing native plants that provide better wildlife food and cover. Its extensive root system holds dormant reeds in place during the winter, which causes a fire haz- ard. The phragmites cost share program is intended to treat the problem in undeveloped wetlands, such as tidal or nontidal freshwater and brack- ish marshes, ponds and impoundments. Drainage ditches are not eligible; landowners with phragmites prob- lems in agricultural ditches should contact their county conservation districts. Because the herbicide spray is applied by helicopter, the division also may exclude areas adjacent to development for safety reasons. This partnership provides state and federal money that will cover 88 percent of the cost of the spraying, with the landowner chipping in the remaining 12 percent, estimated this year at about $4 per acre. Eligible landowners must have a minimum of five acres and a maximum of 200 acres infested with phragmites to be spray treated with herbicide. In addition, landowners must agree to have their property treated for three consecutive years. Separate state and federal applications are required. All applications are available at the County USDA Service Centers listed below. DNREC's portion can be filled out online at www.dnrec.state.de.us/dplap/information/Phragmites.shtml. Applications can be obtained at the Sussex USDA Service Center, 408 N. DuPont Highway, Georgetown. For information, call 856-3990, Ext. 3