Newspaper Archive of
Cape Gazette
Lewes, Delaware
Jim's Towing Service
November 19, 2004     Cape Gazette
PAGE 94     (94 of 148 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 94     (94 of 148 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
November 19, 2004
 

Newspaper Archive of Cape Gazette produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2019. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




94 - CAPE GAZETTE, Friday, Nov. 19 - Nov. 22, 2004 Tour Continued from page 92 prise: when the kitchen floor boards were removed, perfectly preserved 1928 newspapers were found and now decorate one wall in the dining room and kitchen. Lewes Presbyterian Church, Kings Highway. The historic sanctuary of this church was built in 1832 and was the third building in the congregation's history, the first built in 1707 and the second in 1727. Glen Thompson and Richard Verzier residence, 115 Kings Highway. There has been more comment and curiosity about this house than any other in recent memory. All visitors will appreciate the care with which it was renovated and marvel at the objects of art and antiques that decorate its many rooms. Zwaanendael Museum, 102 Kings Highway. Dedicated in 1932 to commemorate the 300th annivelsary of the first European settlement in Delaware, the Zwaanendael Museum is an expo- sition of 16th century Dutch architecture. This holiday season, visitors to the museum will notice the decorative holiday stylings of the Sussex Gardeners and the Quilts on Air exhibit, showcasing historic quilts, handmade in Sussex County. Fisher-Martin House, Lewes The Wilmington College Lewes Conference Center, 16 Shipcarpenter Square, is among those on the Ch]'ist- mas Tour of Lewes. Chamber of Commerce, 120 Kings Highway. The structure was moved to Lewes in 1981 as part of the city's 350th anniver- sary celebration. It is considered a fine example of early 18th centu- ry Sussex County architecture. Presently, the house is used as a community and information cen- ter by the Lewes Chamber of Commerce. Zwaanendaei Club,-302 Savannah Road. This building was formerly the 1898 Sussex Trust Company. The Zwaanendael Ladies Club first starting holding its meetings here in 1905. The club sponsors many civic programs. St Peter's Episcopal Church, Second and Market Streets. The third church to occu- py this site, the historic church for viewing of its stained glass win- dows and artifacts from its treas- ury and archives. The Episcopal Church Women sponsor a soup luncheon at St. Peter's Parish Hall, located behind the Ryves Holt House. Ryves Holt House, Lewes Historical Society, 218 Second Street. The oldest house still standing in Delaware, the Ryves Holt House is believed to have been built about 1665. Known also as the house of Phillip Russell, it is a dignified two-story and attic wooden structure with cypress shingles. Laurance Vincent and Joyce Kaminkow residence, 229 Second Street. One of the oldest structures still standing in Lewes, built circa 1740, this is a classic example of a Delaware "scooter" house, consisting of seven build- ings strung together. Careful restoration is an ongoing effort by the owners. Lightship Overfalls, on the canal at Shipearpenter and Front Streets. Lightships, essential nav- igational aids for ships at sea, were anchored on station through- out the year and on duty 24 hours a day. The Lightship Overfalls is one of only 14 remaining light- ships in a fleet that once num- bered 179. The Overfalls is owned and operated by the Overfalls Maritime Museum Foundation, a nonprofit group of volunteers working' together to restore the ship. Cannonball House, Lewes Historical Society, 118 Front Street. Struck by shots during the bombardment of Lewes by the British in 1813 during the War of 1812, the Cannonball House is a maritime museum. Children's Beach House, on Lewes Beach at 1800 Bay Avenue. The Children's Beach House annual Art Show and Sale isheld in this building, dedicated in September, 2000. Lewes Yacht Club, at the end of Cedar Street, Lewes Beach. The Lewes Yacht Club opens its doors once againive renovations "and "di- tional soup and salad lunch from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. at a cost of $8.95 per person. A craft show will be held at the club from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tickets can be purchased at the society, the Lewes Chamber of Commerce and the Zwaanendael Museum, Traders and Habersham Peddlers. In Rehoboth Beach, tickets may be purchased at Browseabout Books and in Fenwick Island at Seaport Antiques on Route 54. Advance tickets are $12; tickets purchased tour day are $15 each. Tickets can be bought by calling 645-7670. 3 Great Gift Books From Dela0000are'0000 00avoritc, t hotographer Delaware 0000Beaches Delaware 00vin Fhming text by Nam 7 E. Ly Autographed copies are available now in bookstores or call 800.291.7600 for free home delivery. [TTTI [I v. "ST llllllllll/lllllllllllr ] -r'T" I 711" TTi ]lrl-lFT] " T 11 TII rlTfl-Vllllr IrlllilllllrlllllT Yr .......... ]  '  V'- ....... 94 - CAPE GAZETTE, Friday, Nov. 19 - Nov. 22, 2004 Tour Continued from page 92 prise: when the kitchen floor boards were removed, perfectly preserved 1928 newspapers were found and now decorate one wall in the dining room and kitchen. Lewes Presbyterian Church, Kings Highway. The historic sanctuary of this church was built in 1832 and was the third building in the congregation's history, the first built in 1707 and the second in 1727. Glen Thompson and Richard Verzier residence, 115 Kings Highway. There has been more comment and curiosity about this house than any other in recent memory. All visitors will appreciate the care with which it was renovated and marvel at the objects of art and antiques that decorate its many rooms. Zwaanendael Museum, 102 Kings Highway. Dedicated in 1932 to commemorate the 300th annivelsary of the first European settlement in Delaware, the Zwaanendael Museum is an expo- sition of 16th century Dutch architecture. This holiday season, visitors to the museum will notice the decorative holiday stylings of the Sussex Gardeners and the Quilts on Air exhibit, showcasing historic quilts, handmade in Sussex County. Fisher-Martin House, Lewes The Wilmington College Lewes Conference Center, 16 Shipcarpenter Square, is among those on the Ch]'ist- mas Tour of Lewes. Chamber of Commerce, 120 Kings Highway. The structure was moved to Lewes in 1981 as part of the city's 350th anniver- sary celebration. It is considered a fine example of early 18th centu- ry Sussex County architecture. Presently, the house is used as a community and information cen- ter by the Lewes Chamber of Commerce. Zwaanendaei Club,-302 Savannah Road. This building was formerly the 1898 Sussex Trust Company. The Zwaanendael Ladies Club first starting holding its meetings here in 1905. The club sponsors many civic programs. St Peter's Episcopal Church, Second and Market Streets. The third church to occu- py this site, the historic church for viewing of its stained glass win- dows and artifacts from its treas- ury and archives. The Episcopal Church Women sponsor a soup luncheon at St. Peter's Parish Hall, located behind the Ryves Holt House. Ryves Holt House, Lewes Historical Society, 218 Second Street. The oldest house still standing in Delaware, the Ryves Holt House is believed to have been built about 1665. Known also as the house of Phillip Russell, it is a dignified two-story and attic wooden structure with cypress shingles. Laurance Vincent and Joyce Kaminkow residence, 229 Second Street. One of the oldest structures still standing in Lewes, built circa 1740, this is a classic example of a Delaware "scooter" house, consisting of seven build- ings strung together. Careful restoration is an ongoing effort by the owners. Lightship Overfalls, on the canal at Shipearpenter and Front Streets. Lightships, essential nav- igational aids for ships at sea, were anchored on station through- out the year and on duty 24 hours a day. The Lightship Overfalls is one of only 14 remaining light- ships in a fleet that once num- bered 179. The Overfalls is owned and operated by the Overfalls Maritime Museum Foundation, a nonprofit group of volunteers working' together to restore the ship. Cannonball House, Lewes Historical Society, 118 Front Street. Struck by shots during the bombardment of Lewes by the British in 1813 during the War of 1812, the Cannonball House is a maritime museum. Children's Beach House, on Lewes Beach at 1800 Bay Avenue. The Children's Beach House annual Art Show and Sale isheld in this building, dedicated in September, 2000. Lewes Yacht Club, at the end of Cedar Street, Lewes Beach. The Lewes Yacht Club opens its doors once againive renovations "and "di- tional soup and salad lunch from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. at a cost of $8.95 per person. A craft show will be held at the club from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tickets can be purchased at the society, the Lewes Chamber of Commerce and the Zwaanendael Museum, Traders and Habersham Peddlers. In Rehoboth Beach, tickets may be purchased at Browseabout Books and in Fenwick Island at Seaport Antiques on Route 54. Advance tickets are $12; tickets purchased tour day are $15 each. Tickets can be bought by calling 645-7670. 3 Great Gift Books From Dela0000are'0000 00avoritc, t hotographer Delaware 0000Beaches Delaware 00vin Fhming text by Nam 7 E. Ly Autographed copies are available now in bookstores or call 800.291.7600 for free home delivery. [TTTI [I v. "ST llllllllll/lllllllllllr ] -r'T" I 711" TTi ]lrl-lFT] " T 11 TII rlTfl-Vllllr IrlllilllllrlllllT Yr .......... ]  '  V'- .......